Testing of materials, components or assemblies are a critical aspect in any industry sector, be it for construction, petrochemical, engineering, manufacturing or fabrication. It is through testing that the performance, reliability, durability, etc. of any matter can be ascertained. Non Destructive Testing (NDT) is one of the efficient methods of evaluating and inspecting materials, components or assemblies for discontinuities or locate changes in material characteristics without affecting the future usefulness of the matter being tested.
The advantages gained by using the NDT method far outweigh other known testing methods. It’s efficient and accurate results have made it one of the most commonly used methods across various industry sectors in Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Fujairah and other emirates of the UAE.
Defects that can be detected by NDT methods
With the development of numerous Non Destructive Testing techniques, it has become relatively easier to identify flaws and detect discontinuities in any component. Defects that can be detected by NDT includes
- Planar defects such as fatigue cracks, lack of side-wall fusion in welds, hydrogen cracking, stress corrosion cracks, etc.
- Flaws in laminations which includes rolling and forging laminations, laminar inclusions and delaminations in composites
- Voids, slag and porosity in welds and voids in castings and forgings
- Wall thinning due to corrosion and erosion
- Areas of corrosion
- Structural deformities such as dents, bulges, etc
Types of Non Destructive Testing methods
The selection of a testing method is dependent on the type of matter that is to be tested and its application. There are numerous methods of NDT and the most commonly used ones include
- Vacuum Box Testing
- Visual Testing(VT)
- Ultrasonic Testing (UT)
- Radiographic Testing
- Positive Material Identification
- Magnetic Particle Inspection (MPI) – Visual / Fluorescent
- Liquid Penetrant Test (LPT) – Visual / Fluorescent
- Holiday Testing
- Magnetic Flux Leakage(MFL)
- Portable Hardness
The benefits of Non Destructive Testing
The very nature of the Non Destructive Testing is its biggest advantage. Unlike other testing methods that are destructive in nature, the NDT method can be used to determine the physical properties as well as the chemical composition of materials without causing damage. The main benefits of NDT include
- It helps determine the suitability, structural integrity, strength, ductility, reliability of test objects effectively.
- Test objects can be measured, evaluated and inspected with causing any damage to the structure, part or component during testing.
- It is a very affordable option compared to other methods of testing
- It can be used to ensure quality right from the raw material stage to the finished product.
- NDT can be carried out a at almost any stage in the production or life cycle of components hence is a time saving and cost effective method.
- NDT properly implemented and carried out can be used as a preventive measure to help identify and resolve problems without which may prove to be disastrous.
- NDT can be used when components are in use to help identify the status of the component, part or equipment as well as detect factors that might affect the serviceability of the component.
If you are looking for a company that provides professional NDT services, then Interface Technical Inspection (ITI) is the right one for you. We are one of the leading ISO certified Non Destructive Testing service providers in the UAE with branches in Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Fujairah. With more than 15 years of experience and qualified skilled personnel at hand, we are able to deliver affordable Non Destructive Testing solutions that suits specific business requirements on time and within budget.